Thursday, September 30, 2010

the bubble has burst, if only a little bit.

well, i suppose everything couldn't be perfect the whole way through, God must think I'm too strong of a woman to waste an easy, carefree pregnancy on...

today I arrived at the doctor, gave my usual urine sample, and was told that my protein levels were high for the 2nd time in a row. They immediately sent me upstairs to the lab to complete a lengthy series of tests, if only for a precaution, they say.

High protein levels, combined with other symptoms (some I have just barely, like swelling of the hands/feet, some not at all, like high blood pressure) could be a sign of preeclampsia, which is also known as toxemia. It's a danger to both the mom and baby. Worst case scenarios include stroke, kidney failure, and loss of life to mom and baby.

Mild cases usually result in just being a bit more cautious, monitoring with more frequest doctors visits, and getting to the 36 week mark and then letting doc decide when it's time to move.

I have a level 3 ultrasound tomorrow, and begin the exciting process(!) of collecting all of my urine over the next 24 hours for testing. More concrete information will come once all of the results are in and the doc has reviewed and made a prognosis.

If you are the praying type, pray. If you are the 'sending out cosmic vibes' type, do so. If you are the crossing fingers type, I'll take that too.

Really trying not to be overdramatic. 90% of me knows that this should be ok. 10% of me can't stop thinking about it.

6 comments:

kymberli q. said...

Oh, Wendy...why didn't you post this on Facebook?? Too much info to share? Anyway, my thoughts and you know me, PRAYERS, are with you and little miss. Please at least send me a msg in the next few days letting me know what the doctor said with all the urine. Prayers coming your way, friend.

Michelle said...

Oooh. Sorry! If you're like me, that 10% is often louder than the 90%. I'll send up some prayers for you and the baby. Thank goodness you are already at 36 weeks.

Jumping Lizard Girl said...

I'll send you everything I've got! Keep us posted, okay? HUGS and LOVE.

Wendy G said...

thanks ladies.
K- I didn't want to broadcast this (which is ironic as I posted on my blog) on FB- too many people who are not in a "need to know" position and I feel like my blog readers are my closer friends and family. Plus I don't know results yet, so as soon as I do, I'll let you know for sure.
Michelle- I WISH I was 36 weeks! I'm actually still just 29 weeks, so we have at least 7 weeks until I'm in the clear.
J- ♥ you!!! Thanks for your support...

Rina said...

Prayin type-givin them up for ya girl!

Kristin said...

OMG Wendy! I hope everything is okay! Sending good thoughts your way!