Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Old Wives Tales...

Everyone I talk to lately seems to have an old wive's tale to try on me, to determine if we are having a girl or a boy. All of these stories and tales keep me laughing, so I'm always willing to participate in the next crazy idea. Here are a few so far:

Paul's mom- Paul and I took Paul's mom out to the Yard House for lunch the other day, and while eating she told me (in spanish, of course) that if a woman looks pretty/glowing early in her pregnancy, she's having a boy, and if she looks, well, less than glowing, then she's having a girl. She proceeded to tell me that I'm having a boy. A nice compliment, but then again, I had actually blow dried my hair and put makeup on that day. Had I gone au natural, maybe it would have been a different outcome. LOL

Our housecleaner- Paul and I came home from work and she and her daughter were just finishing up the house (Paul is a godsend for allowing us to have a housecleaner, I hate cleaning!!) Anyhow, she tests me by asking me (also in spanish) to hold out my hands to her, and she will look at them to determine if we're having a boy or girl. I held out my hands, and when I did, I did so with my palms faced down. She tells me we're having a boy- if I'd shown my hands to her face up, then we'd be having a girl.

My hairstylist- Wendy (yes, my hairstylist is named Wendy too) and another stylist in the salon (who cuts Paul's hair) did the necklace test on me. You hold your hand out, and they use a necklace and rub it against your hand, then hold it above your hand. If it swings to the left and right, then it's a girl. If it swings up and back, then it's a boy. Well, this time, it told me we're having a girl. This one goes further, and told me that I'm having 1 girl, then 2 boys after that. Wow that's a bit much to think about right now!

A girl in the elevator- completely random, but she told me today that the chinese lunar calendar has been 100% accurate for her entire family- and she has 6 kids, and her sisters had a total of 10 kids between the 3 of them! I tested this tonight, and it tells me I'm having a girl.

My godson- at my brother's wedding this weekend, his mom asked him "Is Auntie Wendy going to have a boy or a girl?" And he said "a boy!" the funny part about this is his aunt of the other side of the family is also pregnant, and when he was asked if she was having a boy or a girl, he said "A boy AND a girl!" His mom replied "no hunny, which one?" and he said "BOTH!" Well, it turns out she found out the following week that she is pregnant with twins. That's a pretty good prediction for a 4 year old, in my mind!

I'm always up for the next game/test/tale, so if you have any more of them let me know!!

No comments: