Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Maternity Shopping!

So, I finally decided it was time to begin picking up a few maternity items. I have really been looking forward to this, shopping is probably my FAVORITE hobby, and even though it might be a bit premature, I am tired of feeling sad when I put on my skinny jeans, only to look not-so-skinny! So, I've made my rounds to a few different places, and thought it might help other moms-to-be if they knew about my experiences thus far. Here we go:

1) Motherhood- I actually went to Motherhood when I was only 10 weeks pregnant (I thought I was almost 12 weeks, read my earlier post on that). Anyhow, I wanted to pick up a few sundresses, for my brothers wedding weekend, and for the summer in general. Motherhood has a great selection of options, although I don't know if these dresses will last the entire 9 months of my maternity. Even so, with prices like $19.99 I didn't feel it too much, so I picked up a few and they have served me well. Here's the downfall- I didn't realize until it was too late- Motherhood has a 10 day return/exchange policy. At the time, I picked up more than a few dresses, so on the wedding weekend I could have my choice of what looked good at the moment. Big mistake- and that's probably their strategy. By the end of the weekend, I was exhausted, and then the workweek began, and suddenly there was no time to return the ones I didn't wear. So, I now have 5 dresses. But hey, we still have the rest of the summer to go, and I've already gotten compliments on them, so I'll keep wearing them. And I'll probably put 1 or 2 on ebay.

2) Old Navy- who doesn't love Old Navy? The store near my house has a maternity section, and my friend Jaime who is also pregnant (yes everyone I know is pregnant!) reminded me that they have cute stuff at great prices (thanks J!) Anyhow, I walked out of there last weekend with 3 tank tops, 3 tees, and 1 pair of capri's for $30! They have a 50% off rack even in maternity, so the tanks were only $3.99. I couldn't believe it. I'll be back!

3) Target- Liz Lange is definitely getting popular these days. I picked up just a few things there so far, mostly for work, but I am always at Target so it's fun to stop by the maternity section every now and then.

4) Gap- DEFINITELY my FAVORITE by FAR!!! I am not a normal Gap shopper, in fact other than their product(RED) line, I never really go there. But my good friend Marnie, who just had a baby, told me that you can order online and return for free in store. That way, you can order a few sizes, see what fits, then return what doesn't. Gap is a bit pricey for maternity wear, but it is worth every penny. I got a few pairs of jeans that are SO cute, they fit SO well and give that slim look we are all looking for! I have tried on pants at other places, and they've just looked bulky or the cut was wrong, and I wasn't happy. Definitely do some online shopping at Gap maternity- you'll thank me!

5) What's Kickin- This is a small boutique at Dos Lagos in Corona (an upscale outdoor shopping mall). It is wildly expensive, so I haven't actually bought anything here yet, but I LOVE going in and seeing all of the amazing things they have there. I think once I'm really showing more, I'll have to pick up something because all of their stuff is SO stylish!

You would think that I'm full blown showing at this point, with all of the shopping I've done, but I have to share that I am my mother's daughter- I'm pretty thrifty and always look for a deal. So that keeps things reasonable. Jaime tells me that I must spread out my shopping, cause the stuff that might fit me today, probably won't down the line. So for now, no more purchasing, I think I'm good to go :)

No comments: