Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Ginger's first trip to Palm Desert






It was 20 years ago, this year, that my Dad, Mom, Chris and I visited Palm Desert for the first time, in our (then) new villa at the Marriott Desert Springs. I was 10 years old, and still remember that first trip, and how it felt to be vacationing in HOT heat, LOTS of pools, and TONS of fun. Now 20 years later, it was Ginger's first trip to Palm Desert, and while I don't think she'll remember it, we experienced everything that I did on my first trip.

First, it was H-O-T! 118 degrees on the hottest day, and so that mean a lot of evening swims, and more time in the villa with my family. Julie, Sean, and their kids came out, and my nephews Zack and Josh came out from Texas as well. It was great to have the opportunity to spend a week with Ginger interacting with her cousins- we usually only get a day here, a day there, so she had a LOT of playtime with them, which was great.

Although a lot of people assume Ginger is a quiet, mellow baby, she definitely comes out of her shell after a few interactions and boy, was she vocal and playful on this trip. She is learning how to sit up independantly, and with the exception of a few bonks when she toppled over, I can officially say now that we are home that she is a "sitter". She also is now able to place almost all her weight on herself while standing (assisted still) but I'd like to think she learned these new skills by watching her cousins sit and stand with/around her during this week.

She went with us to a fancy restaurant (Lakeview, at the Marriott Hotel across the golf course) and was a perfect, well mannered baby. She ate (pureed bananas), drank (water from a sippy cup) and giggled and laughed at the adults, and baby at the next table (who brings babies to fancy restaurants?!? I know, I know, but it was a special occasion).

All in all, we had a great time, and although Paul could attend with us because of work, I was so thrilled that Ginger is now part of our annual tradition of the Palm Desert vacation!

No comments: