Thursday, January 8, 2009

False alarm....




After getting my hair done (wayyyy too early) this morning, I drove over to Kaiser to have my standard, twice weekly NST test completed today. If you recall, when I started these NSTs, it was because my fluids were determined "low" at an AFI of 5. Subsequently, the following tests presented results of 7.4, 10.5, and then 14, which is actually a really strong showing. So, today, as I arrived, I was more interested in thinking about what I would have for lunch, then anticipating any change with the progression so far.

Well, turns out that after 45 minutes of fetal monitoring and blood pressure tests, my ultrasound determined that my fluid levels were back to 5. I was pretty shocked- so was Rosie, my NST nurse, who called Lisa in for backup, to conduct a 2nd reading just to confirm. Sure enough, Lisa also found I was at about a 5, finding NO FLUID at all on my entire left side. They called the doc, and I was ordered to Labor and Delivery to be admitted.

Mind you- I arrived to this test on my own today- I wanted Paul to stay at work since he'll be taking 2 weeks off once the baby arrives. So, I called Paul, my parents, and sent out a group text that today could be the day. I was given the bracelet, the hospital gown (which I was a little pissed about putting on, I have my 2 gowns that I bought for the occasion in my car!) and was assigned a room. Holy cow, I really was surprised at how fast everything happened- in no time at all I was hooked up to monitors, blood drawn, and sitting alone, thinking "this could be very real". Good thing I sent out the group text- while I waited for Paul to get there, I was comforted by a lot of you, so thank you!!

I was hooked up for about an hour and a half, where they continued to monitor Ginger's heart rate, contraction rate, and blood pressure. I was given two HUGE cups of water with ice to drink, and told that they would conduct another ultrasound in about 90 minutes to confirm fluid levels. At that point, if I was still a 5, I would be immediately induced. Good thing Paul got there quickly, I couldn't have sat there alone without him for much longer than the few minutes I had to!

After the 90 minutes was up, the doctor came in and pulled the ultrasound machine up to the bedside. She sat on my bed, with Paul next to me, and we watched the screen as she ran the control all over my lubed up tummy. Well, Ginger had moved around since the test earlier, and it turns out she wanted to keep the fluid pockets all to herself in the first round. This time, with her in a new position, we easily determined that my fluid levels were around 10, which made everyone happy. Doc went to confirm with another doc, and we were granted the right to go home.

Paul and I are actually grateful we got this test run, despite the fact that we were beginning to mentally prepare for this to be 'it'. We know now that we have a few things we need to take care of, such as get his bag with my bag (just a few things- contact solution, etc), make a spare key in case we need to send my folks or Shanna over to my house to take care of Woody, etc.

So, the waiting continues. I go back on Monday for a final NST, and then as long as all looks well, then I go in at 8am Tuesday to be induced. Of course, this all is dependent on Ginger wanting to stay put through this weekend- we'll see!

1 comment:

Lindsay Elise said...

I'm so excited about Ginger's impending arrival!!! Thanks for the updates; they make me feel like I'm a little tiny part of things from afar... xoxoxoxoxo...