Friday, January 2, 2009

She'll bake a little longer....

The bag was packed and loaded in the car.

The carseat was installed.

I was showered, blow-dried, and picture ready.

Paul locked the hot rods in the garage.

We were ready.

But Ginger was not.

Today, we went to the hospital fully prepared to deliver this baby girl, but it turns our all of the water I've chugged actually made a difference. You wouldn't believe how much water I've taken in- at times I feel like I'm loading toxic amounts into my system. But doc said at least 15 full glasses (or water bottles) a day, so that's what I've been doing. Which means sometimes, I have to take 1-3 full glasses of water at a time. Surprisingly, it's much easier to chug lukewarm tap water, than cold bottled water, and I rarely drink tap water anymore. Go figure.

I arrived and completed the fetal stress test first, Ginger has a very predictable heartbeat (135-140) that was solid for 30 minutes. Blood pressure again slightly elevated, at 134/86, but the nurses still called it "not something to worry about yet". (I still do, though, because throughout this pregnancy I've been around 120/80).

Then we move to the fluid testing, and hallelujah, I've managed to increase my fluids to a level of 10.5. The NST tech said that was a very strong showing, and had the docs seen this level originally I would not have been put on this additional testing requirement. However, they want me to continue resting and staying hydrated, and on Monday we'll go at it again. Then I'll see my doc Wednesday morning, where we'll determine a game plan from there.

Although I was very eager for this morning's visit, I am very relieved that I didn't deliver today. I've wanted Ginger to make it as close to her due date as possible, and it looks like we'll get another few days out of this, at least. I also would prefer to go through a more traditional approach to delivery (I'd LOVE to have the whole water breaking scene and rush to the hospital already dialating), vs. walking myself to Labor and Delivery and getting shot up to get contractions started. If there is no other option, than of course that's what we'll do. But I had a sneaky feeling that I would be coming back home today, and I'm happy that it worked out this way.

2 comments:

Kristin said...

HiWendy! I found your blog thru somrthing posted on facebook and I love it! Good luck with Ginger! We also had NST's for the last 2 months of my pregnancy with Tyler b/c of no growth due to low fluid levels, but he was still a healthy 7lbs, 7oz. Its worriesome, but it sounds like you are doing great! Keep us posted :-)

Jumping Lizard Girl said...

So glad she's safe.

Now, I must say this: YES, it's great to want the whole water-breaking, rush to the hospital scene but don't be disappointed if it never comes. After our birthing class w/ Flynn we were expecting all this drama like you see in the movies but it so calm and drama-free we were like, "this is it?!? this is what people make such a big deal about?!?" My water never broke...with all 3. We never had to rush. I never yelled "i hate you, get away from me" at anyone. The closest I ever came was being air-evac'ed from one hospital to another but that all seemed like slow motion and I was very calm.

I do hope you get to experience the big rush (and then you can tell me ALL about it) but...just don't be disappointed if it doesn't happen. :) :)