Monday, September 8, 2008

A new journey...


Who accepts a new job 5 1/2 months pregnant? Apparently I do! Yes, it's true, I was misty today as I provided my resignation to Starbucks (I've worked in a corporate HR role for 2+ years with the 'Bux), however I am truly looking forward to this new professional opportunity with the County of Riverside. My new title will be Executive Recruiter, classified as a Senior Human Resources Analyst, and I will be responsible for attracting executive-level talent to the County of Riverside, as well as providing project management, consultation and training to the general recruitment staff within the County. This opportunity will provide the career growth I'm looking for, (while providing a sense of security with this soft economic climate).

I have to say that I've been provided a truly red carpet hiring experience with the County, who is fully aware of my pregnancy and in disclosing the news, I was met with genuine congratuations and sincere feedback that they see hiring me as a long term investment. Let's just say that I've been interviewing with a few different organziations, and I can't say that one of the others was as gracious, or even legal with some of their questioning. It gives me all the more reason to have faith that I am making the right decision in becoming a government employee. Plus my new boss is FANTASTIC!

As most of you know, I weathered rounds of layoffs at Starbucks, as we realligned and restructured our field workforce. It was an honor to survive, as I lost almost all of my staffing peers (and a lot of my HR colleagues as well). What I can say, is that I know in my heart that there is a special culture at Starbucks, that I probably won't find elsewhere. I worked with fantastic people, and I leave graciously in a few weeks, hoping to keep in touch with those who are still in position.

I was hired specifically for the expertise I've developed around the attraction and retention of "Generation Y" job seekers (those born 1979-mid 1990's). While there won't be too many Gen Y'ers yet who are executive-level today, part of my role will be to design and develop hiring strategies to prepare for the future of recruitment within the County, and helping to build a culture there, similar to that of Starbucks. Luckily, I am going to get to work with my best friend from Starbucks (Tyler), who has also accepted a role with the County! We get to work together again, and I am so happy you wouldn't believe it!

I start 9/25, so more to come!

3 comments:

Jumping Lizard Girl said...

This is AWESOME! I am so excited for you (and Tyler). I am happy it all worked out and now you can relax the rest of the pregnancy...it will be nice not having to worry about losing your job. Thank Goodness the County of Riverside doesn't discriminate (as they shouldn't).

I am so jealous you will be working with Tyler again. Please tell him I say Hello!

Anonymous said...

HOORAY!!!! We are going to rock the government!!!!

I am so pleased that you and I get to still work together.

All my best!
ty

kymberli q. said...

Congratulations Wendy! It looks as if everything is falling in place for you!