Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Victory, and defeat...

It is with grace that I write this post, as I know many of my family and friends are saddened by Obama clinching the presidency. I have been backing him for almost 2 years now, and have been inundated with questions about why, how could I, as well as some pretty nasty emails that were just plain untrue. Regardless, I feel victorious that Obama will now be leading us in a time when we need him most. He will be a uniter, so long as he is not purposefully tripped by those who want to see him fail along the way. This was one of those elections that people were looking at each other and thinking "how could I possibly be this close with this person, and yet see things so differently??" but I think that it proves that we live in the most amazing country in the world, that allows us to coexist with such radically different opinions, and still maintain peace.

Today I went and worked the polls counting paper ballots, which felt great and I'm glad I did it. I was able to see the behind the scenes process, although next time around I will probably sign up to work at a voting location so I can work more closely with people.

We were also victorious this election in freeing our caged-in animal friends, which I am so happy about as well. I have been buying cage-free eggs for years (I really do think they taste better, IMHO, in addition to knowing they were humanely treated) so this will actually be a benefit to me, as increased competition might lower the artificial price they are now, as their seen as a "premium" whereas in the future it will just be the norm.

Although we have been progressive enough to elect a black president, and offer freedom to our animal friends, it saddens me that we are still willing to strip a fundamental right away from gays wanting to marry. I am a Christian, and I understand the argument that's been presented to me on the other side. I suppose I am what you might call a progressive Christian, vs. a traditionalist, as I (as a woman) work outside the home, feel I am an equal to my husband, and don't take the Bible in such a literal sense as some others I know. I am deeply perplexed that so many people feel good about this decision- I imagine the confederates of the late 1800's feeling really good about challenging black rights, or in the 1920's and 1930's, white men feeling really good about challenging women's rights, and just have to wonder how anyone can feel good about this. But, I know minorities and women didn't gain access to social rights overnight, they were long, heartfelt battles to change social perception. And so, we fight on.

I am SOOOOO happy to be bringing Ginger into this world with Obama as president. I only hope that the progress I've seen in my lifetime so far, continues to build and provides an even better world for my children to take over, and pass along to their children.

No comments: