Friday, August 8, 2008

17 week ultrasound...




I am now beginning to understand the impact of going to a OB/GYN who does not have onsite ultrasound. Initially, I didn't see it as a big problem, he was such a great doctor that it didn't seem important to me. Well, it's beginning to bother me...

Yesterday, I went for a standard visit to Dr. Marcus, and during the visit both the nurse and the Dr. could not find the baby's heartbeat. Again. Now, online there are a lot of posts from women who say the same thing- that even at 17 weeks the heartbeat couldn't be identified with the Doppler alone. If my doctor had onsite ultrasound, it would have been just a quick minute to get it set up, and all of our worries would have been put to ease. But instead, he needed to set up an emergency ultrasound with the lab, and I forced them to make it for that afternoon. I could not wait!

I called Paul, crying of course, and took a sick day from work. Paul joined me for the ultrasound appointment- we knew in both of our hearts that everything was fine, but my doctor wasn't willing to give me any sense of confidence (he is definitely a cautious doctor). Anyhow, the ultrasound tech at the lab wasn't supposed to talk to us and show us what they were identifying (another seriously WRONG part of this whole process- they really expect you to wait for your follow up appointment with your doctor to hear the results?!?!)

The good thing is, at our last emergency ultrasound 4 weeks ago, we had a really sweet and nice ultrasound tech lady, and I requested her again because she was willing to tell us and show us (behind closed doors) anything we wanted to see. She was a blessing, and was available again yesterday for us.

Everything is fine. Baby is healthy, we saw things like the heart, kidney, brain, fingers, toes, spine, facial development, everything. We heard the heartbeat and it was glorious.

So, after all was said and done, I am now re-evaluating my doctor selection, as nice and great as he is, because I just don't know if I can keep going through this (unnecessary) trauma. Stay tuned....

2 comments:

Jumping Lizard Girl said...

Oh Wendy dear! I am so sorry you have to experience that. Those Dopplers are horrible and it's such agony waiting to hear that heartbeat. I am SOOOO glad Baby G (that's my brother's nickname for me, by the way) is doing fine...and you and Paul, too.

kymberli q. said...

Oh my gosh, Wendy! That is so scary! You seriously need to rent one of those heart dopplers from Baby Beat. Mine has been a Godsend! In fact, I need to go check him/her now to give me peace of mind. By the way, we saw a heart monitor dealy at Babies R Us, but I didn't look into it that long since we just rented the doppler. I'm thinking of buying that - it's like $20 something bucks. Cause it's going to SUCK having to return this doppler - or pay $30 a month for it. I think I'll buy. I'll let you know. I'm so glad everything is OK!