Sunday, August 17, 2008

Crochet Weekend!




Good friendships are like great wine- they get even better with age. (Speaking of which, I miss wine, but that is a whole other post!) My good friend Lindsay came up to stay the weekend, leaving beautiful coastal San Diego, to hang out in the A/C here in the Inland Empire. I am so thankful that we have maintained a great friendship despite living 90 minutes apart, we had a lot of fun together this weekend and I even have a new project to show for it!

Linds has always been known to give scarves and blankets for Christmas/birthdays/etc, and I've always wanted to learn how to make a few scarves of my own. Now that I'm pregnant, I REALLY wanted to learn so I could start a baby blanket project. I've found myself a bit restless these days, with at least 4+ months to go.

So, Linds and I made our way to Michael's, where we picked up some yarn, crochet hooks, and a "dummy" book for me, in case I forgot what she taught me. We came home and had some din-din, then sat down to learn the fine art of crochet.

I have to admit, within the first 15 minutes, I was about to throw in the towel. We didn't realize it, but the yarn and the crochet hook we picked out for my project was the exact same color, making it hard for me to tell what was hook and what was yarn. Linds was a great teacher, letting me take a break to make some snickerdoodle cookies while she finished a row for me. Once that row was in place, I seemed to pick it up, and I've been crocheting every since.

Here are a few pics of my work in progress- although we don't know the gender yet of the baby, I really liked this deep blue color, and thought it could be neutral even if we have a girl- I just wasn't into the pastels (rarely do I ever like pastel ANYTHING) and I'm pretty pleased with how it's turning out so far. Of course, I'm about 1/10th of the way done, but I have 4 more months to pass the time. :)


1 comment:

Jumping Lizard Girl said...

I LOVE it! Did you see that I picked up crocheting too? You are much further along than me and yours looks much better. :) I love the color. Looks like you had fun and you're looking really good. Are you feeling just as good?