Thursday, August 21, 2008

Produce, anyone?


It's everywhere- news about organics, local farming, living as naturally as one can, etc. It seems to be a topic of daily conversation, almost, between friends, coworkers, and articles in magazines. I don't pretend that I've been a naturalist all along, but I figure this is a boat I'm willing to jump on, even if I'm late. I don't want to preach to others, nor do I think there is a right or wrong for everyone, I just know that I have the ability and willingness to make these choices, and I'd rather not ingest pesticides and weeks old produce, if I don't have to.

That said, I found a really cool website, in case others are interested, that has compiled local farms where you can go and pick your own produce. There are so many reasons I am excited about this- first, it reduces the carbon footprint of semi-trucks needing to deliver my apples from Washington, my oranges from Florida, etc. Second, the produce will be the freshest available- sometimes produce can take 1-2 weeks or more to get to the grocery store! Third, it help to support my local communities and supports local farmers.

If your interested, check out http://www.pickyourown.org. You can search by state and county, and I can't wait to select my first farm I'm going to visit (you can even find local farms to pick your own Halloween pumpkins and Christmas trees!). I'll try to post about my first visit.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey girl....I joined a CSA...which is Community Supported Agriculture...and I pick up a GIANT basket of organic and locally grown produce every 2 weeks. I LOVE IT. Here is the link to where I got the info: http://www.localharvest.org/csa/M12363

Wendy G said...

Wow Natalie that is a GREAT site!! Even more comprehensive than the one I found! They have a CSA that has drop offs in Riverside, I am seriously considering joining for a season to check it out.