Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Crossing my fingers!

When I started my new job September 25th, I had negotiated a 12 week leave with the County (which I felt was reasonable) and was met with no hesitation. I had planned on working up until the very minute that I needed to deliver, in order to maximize the 12 weeks that I wanted to spend with Ginger. But over the past month or so, I've done some reading about SDI, PDL, and STD and LTD, and have learned that pregnant women have the option of taking 4 weeks, prebirth, that can be covered by SDI (66% of pay). This particular "prebirth" 4 weeks can only be used before, and can't be simply added to the "after delivery" time that I am allowed under SDI, PDL, and LTD.

So, that said, I started looking at the calendar, and realized that if I tried to ask for this time, it would allow me to take off right before Christmas, and have a good 4 weeks before Ginger was due, while still protecting my 12 weeks after Ginger is born. I started dreaming about enjoying good naps, resting during the holidays, snuggling with my puppy, and trying to deal with the fact that I'll be ginormous.

So today I approached my boss, and explained my idea. I would have already gotten 4 days paid off during Christmas/New Years anyhow, and I know executive recruiting comes to an almost hault over the holidays (who is going to fly in for an interview at that time? And who at the County will actually be in their office to interview them?)

My boss went for it! She was completely supportive and encouraged me that "you'll never get this time back" and concurred that hiring will be really slow during that time. I had to fill out an LOA request that still needs final approval from the Assistant CEO/HR Director of the County, but I am crossing my fingers that this works out! If he approves, that means I'll have 4 whole months off of work, which would be a dream come true!

2 comments:

Jumping Lizard Girl said...

Who is your boss?!? Are there any openings? :) That is fantastic, Wendy! I'll keep my fingers crossed, too, in hopes that everyone approves it. So awesome...

kymberli q. said...

Does your FMLA run concurrently with your disability?