Monday, October 13, 2008

Well THAT makes sense...

After searching, and searching, scouring the internet, researching through Paul's 20 million pinup books, I think I've finally found the artist that I LOVE for her work in pin-up art. And yes, I titled this post "well THAT makes sense..." because it is a "her", not a "him". You'll notice my earlier post, which references T&A, or what the the world of art describes as "overtly sexual overtones"...well, my girl Pearl Frush went in another direction, with her work being described as having a "crisp, straightforward style, her pin-ups and glamour paintings effectively captured the spirit of young womanhood. Her girls were wholesome and fresh, shapely but never overtly sexual. Somehow they were able to look both like movie stars and like the girls-next-door."

Frush had a studio in Chicago in the early 1940's, and is known for being one of the top 3 women pin-up and glamour artists in the calendar art market at mid-century.

Here's the catch- because she worked primarily in watercolor and gouache, her originals have been difficult to reproduce, which is why she hasn't had the widespread acclaim of, say Alberto Vargas or Gil Elvgren. But I am DETERMINED to find a few of these prints, somewhere, somehow!!





2 comments:

Jumping Lizard Girl said...

Ginger is going to have the COOLEST room ever! Can I move in? :)

James Sommerfeldt said...

Have you had any luck finding any of Frush's Artwork?