Monday, October 20, 2008

Funny story today....

It's funny sometimes how things have a way of working themselves out. I mentioned in an earlier post that Paul's mom and my mom will be spliting the babysitting duties for Ginger, when I have to go back to work. I feel truly blessed, but also know that I don't want them to EVER feel like they are "the help", and want them to enjoy being grammy (and abuelita). Plus, my mom will have a commute from Temecula to Riverside, which is about 40 minutes each way, and even though I adore her for volunteering to come up twice a week (spending the night then staying the next day) I can imagine that it might be nice for her to have a break now and then.

That being said, next door we have a really nice family with mom, dad, 2 kids (girl age 11, and boy age 8) and grandma, who is the most active, young-at-heart, warm and friendly (bilingual!) grandma I've seen in awhile! They are always friendly with us, and are good neighbors, and for the past 2 1/2 years, the grandma has been a full time nanny to another neighbor's baby. I see them come and pick her up- we've watched her grow, and it's been fun. Recently, the family decided it was time for the little girl to go to day care to start socializing with other little ones, in preparation for preschool. I can tell Grandma has been a bit lonely without her :)

Anyhow- I was mentioning to Paul that it would be so nice to have our next door neighbor (grandma) as a backup so that we don't always have to rely on our moms. We have been meaning to go over there and talk with her, but just haven't had time.

This evening, I was pulling into the driveway home from work, and here comes the next door neighbor grandma to tell me congratulations about the good news. She wanted to wish me good luck with the rest of the pregnancy, and said she can't wait to meet our little one. She then asked who was going to be watching our baby, and I explained that our moms were, but that I was always looking for relief for them. She said she would love to watch Ginger, part time, full time, even if we just needed a night at the movies. AND SHE IS RIGHT NEXT DOOR! I laughed and told her that I've been meaning to come talk to her, and see if she was available. She says "I am at your service!" and I thanked her, truly appreciative that she came to me to discuss it.

I know a lot of new moms that have a hard time finding 1 person who can commit to lovingly watching their first baby. We now not only have 2 grandmas, but 3! Plus, Auntie Shanna (My BFF since 7th grade, who's hosting my shower) is only 5 minutes away and will definitely be a huge part of Ginger's life. We are so blessed!

1 comment:

Jumping Lizard Girl said...

Oh, yes, you are blessed! Grandmas are the BEST!

I can't even tell you how often I say I wish a little granny would fall from the sky and land in my house. That's the type of babysitter I want...and they're so hard to find.